Oral Health Therapist
Oral Health Therapists are university trained and graduate with a degree or diploma in Applied Science (Dental Therapy). They provide high quality oral health care for children, adolescents and young adults, including examination, treatment, and prevention.
Oral Health Therapists focus strongly on preventive measure for maintaining a high level of oral health. They are also highly involved in the education and promotion of good oral health throughout the community and classrooms.
The main role of an Oral Health Therapist is to:
- Diagnose and provide treatment planning
- Measure and record signs of periodontal disease and provide non-surgical periodontal treatment
- Take and interpret dental radiographs
- Clean and polish teeth and restorations
- Apply remineralising agents
- Provide fissure sealants and fluoride applications
- Debride to remove deposits from the teeth
- Provide conservative treatment (fillings) on deciduous and permanent teeth
- Conduct orthodontic procedures
- Extract teeth (deciduous)
- Remove sutures
- Remove periodontal packs
- Provide oral health education and promotion
Dental hygienists are specially trained professionals who work closely with your dentist to provide fully integrated dental care. They help prevent dental disease in patients and provide individual treatment for patients to help maintain healthy oral hygiene.
The main role of a dental hygienist is to:
- Teach patients oral hygiene techniques based upon each individual case. This instruction can include techniques to care for gums, teeth, and advice on how to maintain a healthy diet.
- Evaluate and assess periodontal (gum) tissue, including x-ray, discussion, and review of medical history.
- Scale and polish teeth
- Apply decay prevention agents
Dental Therapists and Dental Hygienists play an important role within any dental practice. Our Oral Health Therapist, Anastasia Putker is dual qualified in hygiene and therapy meaning she is able to perform oral health assessment, diagnosis, treatment, management and preventive services for children and adolescents, along with preventive hygienist services on patients of all ages.